Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Never rly appreciated the scale of nuclear bombs
As a kid I watched a lot of vids of nuke explosions but I always just thought of them as being like the size of a skyscraper or something, but the mushrooms clouds dwarf mountains, and some were even taller than the entire atmosphere

They’re so bright that when the small ones that were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki went off, even people standing in caves got sunburns, because the light was so powerful it passed through the cave walls

Their apparent brightness is over 100x that of the sun!

It’s so insane the scale that they operate on, but the test vids in the desert don’t have a lot of scale references

Also can u believe the Americans used them on actual civilians
We have a way of not understanding scale very well. Delusions of grandeur? Incredible that we create something so powerful and use it on our own people.
(not troll) the US bombing of hiroshima and nagasaki was 100% justified
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Dartz for this post:
  • Maxwell_Edison
No way jose
watch when the wind blows
(06-05-2018, 11:27 PM)Dartz Wrote: (not troll) the US bombing of hiroshima and nagasaki was 100% justified

i mean yeah it ended the war but i don't think it was the minimal force required to do that
They could have killed more ppl using conventional forces and it would have been more humane
(06-13-2018, 08:11 AM)Roundel Wrote: They could have killed more ppl using conventional forces and it would have been more humane

(06-13-2018, 07:42 AM)wukong Wrote:
(06-05-2018, 11:27 PM)Dartz Wrote: (not troll) the US bombing of hiroshima and nagasaki was 100% justified

i mean yeah it ended the war but i don't think it was the minimal force required to do that

the alternative was a ground infiltration which has estimations of very high (idk the numbers but i'd assume at least 100k+) american casualities

japan was the unruly one and it rly just came down to them or us
yeah fair enough but i think the use of nuclear weapons just voided any justification of ww2 being a just war, but at the end of the day i dont think that matters as long as the least amount of people die and u still win; they didnt drop the nuclear bombs for the sake of dropping them, they dropped it to end the war
it's not like the japanese were so focused on fighting a clean war either
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to unimproved for this post:
  • Maxwell_Edison
200,000 of the victims were civilians who weren’t focused on fighting a war at all
(06-15-2018, 07:54 AM)Roundel Wrote: 200,000 of the victims were civilians who weren’t focused on fighting a war at all

didn't stop japan in nanking either 

or in any of the rape, looting, and executions of civilians and POW
ya but why punish those individuals for what their military did?
that doesnt really justify not having a just war tbh, i think if u commit war crimes today then chances are you'll be punished for it regardless if u win or lose (assuming it isn't some sharia law take over shit like ISIS), so its better not to commit war crimes - which hiroshima and nagasaki could be argued as war crimes
(06-17-2018, 09:59 AM)wukong Wrote: that doesnt really justify not having a just war tbh, i think if u commit war crimes today then chances are you'll be punished for it regardless if u win or lose (assuming it isn't some sharia law take over shit like ISIS), so its better not to commit war crimes - which hiroshima and nagasaki could be argued as war crimes

even if the US comitted war crimes today they would probably just get a slap on the wrist for the UN, like with what the ICE is doing right now
yeah thats a fair point tbh, recent war crimes that are against a just war by the US such as abu gharib have only rly punished the people responsible rather than the country itself