Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do we avoid existential breakdowns?
I've been struggling a lot recently with the supposed insignificance of everything I do. I feel like I'm constantly picking at my ego and coming to the same terrifying conclusion, no one wants to read the book I'm writing and we all already know the ending.
Every day I think to myself "what if I'm working at McDonalds for the rest of my life?"

It's fucked up. I just hope it won't end up that way?

I don't really think about it much further than that, I just tell myself I won't be working here forever.
But truely idk.
The best way to stop having existential breakdowns is to stop existing.

Problem with not existing is you're not there to reap the benefits.

Either way, I get by on my curiosity. I may not get to see 1000 years from now, but I'll get to see 10 years from now. I'll even get to see 50 years from now. And if we look back at 50 years ago, and if we think of everything that's changed, I can only begin to wonder and think of everything that will still come and change and be amazing.
Yannic Wrote:The best way to stop having existential breakdowns is to stop existing.

Problem with not existing is you're not there to reap the benefits.

Either way, I get by on my curiosity. I may not get to see 1000 years from now, but I'll get to see 10 years from now. I'll even get to see 50 years from now. And if we look back at 50 years ago, and if we think of everything that's changed, I can only begin to wonder and think of everything that will still come and change and be amazing.

[Image: 34mwVSG.gif]
What benefits? Best case scenario is you're oblivious, adhere to and enjoy the path set up for you by society, then die sitting on top of integrity instead if despair, proud of shit that means nothing to anyone but you and a few other delusional souls, then all that stuff you hold so highly, all those attachments you made, they all flicker and die with your last brain cell.
everyone wants to be more significant than they are, part of growing up is learning to accept the realities of life.

Nutsnbolts Wrote:What benefits? Best case scenario is you're oblivious, adhere to and enjoy the path set up for you by society, then die sitting on top of integrity instead if despair, proud of shit that means nothing to anyone but you and a few other delusional souls, then all that stuff you hold so highly, all those attachments you made, they all flicker and die with your last brain cell.

how does being oblivious to reality let you die with integrity?

being proud of something that only matters to you isn't less valid than being proud of something that matters to a lot of people

also everything is temporary, there's no tragedy in that fact except for any that you yourself attach to it.

you say "path set up for you by society" as if society is some big evil, and yet your entire crisis here is because you don't think society will like your book. You're what, 17-20ish? there's no way you have enough experience writing to write anything that people will want to read. You shouldn't be looking for success as a writer at that age, you should be looking to improve as one. I don't mean to come off as an ass but ya, that's just my thoughts on it.
Erickson 's last stage was integrity vs despair. You look at what you have done and be happy with death or you don't. What integrity is to be had when you die knowing the fact that nothing you did mattered at all and will disappear when you die? Everyone you know will then die. Then everyone who never knew you will die. You can't realize this and die with integrity. Only an oblivious man will pull pride from love, raising a family, etc. None of that matters after death. All value in those things are created purely by us and you can't die with integrity knowing that, assuming you value those things like most of society.

Also, I'm not sure if you guys are understanding the fact that the book was a metaphor. My life is a book, I already know my death is the ending. No one will read it, things like love are biological and how we perceive them is are based on how society feels about them so none of those "important' things matter. My book will be threw on a book shelf and never read again because after I die none of it will matter.

I don't care about leaving an impression. I'm scared by the fact that none of what I do matters in any real sense . there is no good reason to live unless you find what truly makes you happy. Enjoy life before it disappears forever guys.
Nothing matters absolutely, things only matter in context. I saved a trapped bird, does that matter? It does to the bird. Michael Jordan smashed countless NBA records, does that matter? It does to NBA fans. Our planet exists, does that matter? It does to us.

Would it matter if I destroyed the Earth? The Solar System? The Galaxy? The Universe? At what scale do you want your life to matter, and to whom? And what does integrity have to do with any of this?

Only an oblivious man will pull pride from raising a family?? Consider what you are, a tiny organism on the face of a tiny rock in a tiny galaxy. What kind of ass-backward expectations do you have to set for yourself such that granting consciousness and comfortable life to minds that otherwise would not have existed doesn't earn your pride?

All value in that stuff is created purely by us, just like all value in anything ever. The universe is a bunch of swirly rocks, and we are piles of mush that happen to have the ability to value things. YOU are the one choosing to value "mattering", its not as ubiquitous as you think.
Everything is meaningless.
Everything is pointless.
Reality doesn't even exist according to some people.

But in the end we're still here, we still have our feelings and thoughts, and we're here along for the ride.
Reality might not mean shit, but we still have feelings, and those feelings are very real.

You can sit and be sad about how everything doesn't mean shit, and you'll feel sad and only fuel your "everything is meaningless" pity party.
You can also go out and make something of your life and just generally try to have an as amazing time as possible, feeling awesome every step of the way.

The world might not mean shit, and our deaths will very likely be pointless, but you can still accept that and just have fun in your life, because beyond having fun and feeling fine there isn't a whole lot else out there.
Roundel Wrote:Nothing matters absolutely, things only matter in context. I saved a trapped bird, does that matter? It does to the bird. Michael Jordan smashed countless NBA records, does that matter? It does to NBA fans. Our planet exists, does that matter? It does to us.

Would it matter if I destroyed the Earth? The Solar System? The Galaxy? The Universe? At what scale do you want your life to matter, and to whom? And what does integrity have to do with any of this?

Only an oblivious man will pull pride from raising a family?? Consider what you are, a tiny organism on the face of a tiny rock in a tiny galaxy. What kind of ass-backward expectations do you have to set for yourself such that granting consciousness and comfortable life to minds that otherwise would not have existed doesn't earn your pride?

All value in that stuff is created purely by us, just like all value in anything ever. The universe is a bunch of swirly rocks, and we are piles of mush that happen to have the ability to value things. YOU are the one choosing to value "mattering", its not as ubiquitous as you think.

Yeah, it depends on the context and how you define "mattering". I don't recall ever saying that nothing at all matters. I'm not saying things don't matter in one way or another. I do think we are often delusional though. The value, importance, and meaning we find in our self-esteem, the type of person we are, our relationships, etc matter only because of sociocultural conditioning/influences, biological pressure, etc. Weird shit happens with consciousness, especially with the cognitive abilities we have.

I keep mentioning integrity because integrity vs despair is Erickson's last stage. If you're familiar with psychology you know it deals with death and the emotion in surrounding it.

Why can only an oblivious man be proud of raising a family? You can't live a happy life like that while aware of the fact that you're creating the value and none of it really means anything past what you let it. Prides not a possibility when you realize that child birth is just biology and any special value or magic behind it is just there because of the things I mentioned in the first paragraph.

When it boils down hedonism is the only thing that really makes sense in my opinion. I'm here and I'm doomed, night as well have fun. I do hope this passes though and it just got a bit of depersonalization/derealization. I do want to love and experience the wonders of life, however meaningless they may be in the grand scheme of everything.
I just don't see how something not mattering makes being proud of it less valid, or why you have to be oblivious to be happy when your life doesn't matter. I'm happy and also well aware of the limits of my influence and existence. We aren't being delusional by valuing whatever it is we want to value, if anything we are being delusional by thinking that since x doesn't matter on some arbitrarily large scale it isn't a valid thing to value.

Also you won't be well understood if you make references to terms that you can't reasonably expect the other people here to be familiar with. I am familiar with the concept of integrity, but not with how it is defined by "Erickson" (a man I'm sure less than 10% of people here have heard of).
Erickson is probably the most well known psychologists after Freud.

Anyways, humans have delusions of grandeur. Significance and meaning is subjective but you can't honestly say that many of our values aren't delusional when so many of them are based entirely around our perception of ourselves, something we are definitely delusional about.
fair enough man, sorry for being a dick i just hate existential pessimism, but i defs understand where you are coming from cause im a massive narcissist