Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
philosophy
any of u guys like philosophy? fav books?? fav philosophers?? ideas of ur own?? etc??
Everything is random. Free will exist. Nothing is predestined.

Best have fun while we're here.
everything is stochastic ya, but not entirely random. on the particle scale sure things are fucky, but at the atom scale interactions can be predicted with >99.99999% accuracy, and on the scale of cells things are even more certain. but even if human brains weren't predictable because of some randomness, that wouldn't mean that free will exists, it would mean that our actions are just random and not the result of any sort of will at all!

having fun is good tho ya
It's got to do with entropy.

There's coming more information into the universe every second.
You cannot predict a future that has 1000 information if your present only has 500 information.

Also randomness is pm free will.
I like Albert Camus a lot and I find that his stuff really resonates with me. I have a very nihlistic view of the world and don't really take morality and all that bullshit too seriously anymore. It's scary at times, relieving at other times.
Yannic Wrote:It's got to do with entropy.

There's coming more information into the universe every second.
You cannot predict a future that has 1000 information if your present only has 500 information.

Also randomness is pm free will.

randomness isn't free will though, its randomness. i think settling for things being "pretty much" something different is a sucky way to do it, precision is the key to developing a better understanding of your surroundings and more useful models that you can use to base new logical reasoning on

what is the new information? i'm not sure i follow

Nutsnbolts Wrote:I like Albert Camus a lot and I find that his stuff really resonates with me. I have a very nihlistic view of the world and don't really take morality and all that bullshit too seriously anymore. It's scary at times, relieving at other times.

ya man hes the shit, i feel exactly the same way too. actually that sorta thinking has been monopolizing my mind recently, like ethics is all well and good and whatever, but you have to axiomatically decide that good things happening or bad things happening to people actually matter, there aren't really any satisfying justifications for that that i've been exposed to yet. i think when u look at how many grey areas are created when you make an assumption like that "we should try to avoid having bad things happen to people" is evidence that really its not so grounded in any objective reality - look at issues like whether we should have safe spaces, or whether free speech is bad, things like that, they're problems that are unsolvable if you're using that framework. Even reading philosophy by people like Kant or Mill, they have to have patchwork fixes for their problems, like how Mill says "within utilitarianism you can't ever justify restricting speech" and then later says "oh wait except if it hurts someone", which is the most subjective piece of bullshit ever