Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how much would it cost to run ironnoob?
i made this thread for fun. i own a hosting company so it costs me nothing, but if i didn't, here's a hypothetical on what it would cost to keep ironnoob online.

Domain Costs
a .net domain can be rounded to cost about $15/year. that's +$1.25/mo.

Server Costs
In roughly the past 4 months (May-Aug), we have received 2,700 unique visitors. We've received 270,000 hits (page visits) and served roughly 1 GB of bandwidth (this is low due to caching and cloudflare =]). On average, we serve 54,000 hits per month. from the website files and the mysql database, we use 244 MB of disk space. ironnoob runs on an SSD, so we will need to compare prices with ssd providers. the recommended specifications for serving a website of this size would probably be around 4 GB of memory, and 2 cores of CPU. assuming we were on a budget and wanted to settle for 2 GB of RAM, the average pricing for a server in the middle would cost around $30/mo (source: digitalocean and linode)

so that's +$30.00/mo

Security Costs
A ssl certificate is about $10/year. that is +0.83/mo

total cost: $32.08/mo (or $385/year)
tl;dr it would cost almost $400/year to run ironnoob
That's because you're using a VPS. I use TransIP for all my hosting, you get unlimited data and 10GB SSD for €5/mo. And they're not a shady cheap host.
you can get ssl (TLS) certificates for free

also bull shit this doesn't need 4GB of memory
tfw works for a cheap hosting site but can't run a shitty forum for under 30$ a month
[Image: 929bfaccc0e130bd8fdb925412a227f2.png]
(08-15-2017, 01:04 PM)Maxwell_Edison Wrote: tfw works for a cheap hosting site but can't run a shitty forum for under 30$ a month

this was hypothetical, it costs him nothing?
the way you said that implies you think he pays $30 a month or something
(08-15-2017, 01:19 PM)chase Wrote:
(08-15-2017, 01:04 PM)Maxwell_Edison Wrote: tfw works for a cheap hosting site but can't run a shitty forum for under 30$ a month

this was hypothetical, it costs him nothing?
the way you said that implies you think he pays $30 a month or something

I meant in the hypothetical.  As people have noted in this topic already it's a pretty absurd number, especially for someone who should know how to get good prices on stuff like this.
(08-15-2017, 09:06 AM)Dartz Wrote: the recommended specifications for serving a website of this size would probably be around 4 GB of memory, and 2 cores of CPU.

LMAO you cannot be serious. you could run this website on a raspberry pi and there would be no loss in speed. the number of page hits per minute (1.24) this site gets is no where near enough to even justify 1GB of RAM being needed. and that's accounting for PHP and MySQL instanced on the same hardware. this is assuming you're using nginx to serve static content (which you should be).

a t2.nano instance on AWS is $0.0065/hr which chalks up to be $57 per year. add $15 for that for the domain. Let's Encrypt certificates are free. that's around $72 per year to host IronNoob.
Today, we learn that not only is Dartz full of shit when it comes to managing a basic forum, but also has no idea what he's talking about when it comes to web hosting, either.
do we need a regular domain? there's 1 cent domains out there so that saves a bit of money too wtf
I WANT TO POOP ASSES OUT OF MY AS SOMEDAY OK? LOL.
(08-15-2017, 09:42 PM)it\s buttpooperlol Wrote: I WANT TO POOP ASSES OUT OF MY AS SOMEDAY OK? LOL.

lovely, another spammer that dartz and roundel will justify as activity
(08-15-2017, 10:06 PM)unimproved Wrote:
(08-15-2017, 09:42 PM)it\s buttpooperlol Wrote: I WANT TO POOP ASSES OUT OF MY AS SOMEDAY OK? LOL.

lovely, another spammer that dartz and roundel will justify as activity

does this forum not have email verification?  Because his email is "[email protected]" and I highly doubt he actually owns that email.
Oh well, he's banned, If dartz disagrees he can fight me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Maxwell_Edison for this post:
  • unimproved
(08-15-2017, 06:26 PM)k9rosie Wrote:
(08-15-2017, 09:06 AM)Dartz Wrote: the recommended specifications for serving a website of this size would probably be around 4 GB of memory, and 2 cores of CPU.

LMAO you cannot be serious. you could run this website on a raspberry pi and there would be no loss in speed. the number of page hits per minute (1.24) this site gets is no where near enough to even justify 1GB of RAM being needed. and that's accounting for PHP and MySQL instanced on the same hardware. this is assuming you're using nginx to serve static content (which you should be).

a t2.nano instance on AWS is $0.0065/hr which chalks up to be $57 per year. add $15 for that for the domain. Let's Encrypt certificates are free. that's around $72 per year to host IronNoob.

I mean, if you want the site to be slow as fuck. The t2.nano has abysmal performance in terms of network and read/write. Yes it's reliable, yes it's guaranteed you get what they say you do, but the throttles on that instance are crazy low. 4 GB is excessive for the site, but I think 2 GB is a bit too small to ensure that you'd never run out of resources, which is why I rounded the numbers to get somewhere in the middle around 3 GB. 

Let's Encrypt IS free, but you also have to renew it every month or 90 days or something. If we wanted to get pedantic, we could also use a $1 GoDaddy coupon for this first year or AWS' free year of VPS. While I was being generous with the SSL, it's still valid to assume that many people still do and would pay for SSL.
(08-16-2017, 02:00 AM)Dartz Wrote: The t2.nano has abysmal performance in terms of network and read/write.

this only matters if you have to serve thousands of requests per second and each request is like more than 1-5 MB that's not cached and all coming from persistent storage (like a streaming service). the front page of IronNoob is 111KB total, about half of that are the images you see on the site and those are probably cached in memory anyway.

renewing an LE certificate is like the easiest thing to do in the world. you could automate it with a cron job and never have to worry about it.
(08-16-2017, 04:44 AM)k9rosie Wrote:
(08-16-2017, 02:00 AM)Dartz Wrote: The t2.nano has abysmal performance in terms of network and read/write.

this only matters if you have to serve thousands of requests per second and each request is like more than 1-5 MB that's not cached and all coming from persistent storage (like a streaming service). the front page of IronNoob is 111KB total, about half of that are the images you see on the site and those are probably cached in memory anyway.

renewing an LE certificate is like the easiest thing to do in the world. you could automate it with a cron job and never have to worry about it.

m
y
s
q
l

my dude
OVH VPS £3 a month, 2GB ram and get a fake SSL cert from cloudflare (free).

Okay, it's not fake, but it's not "real" HTTPS.

The real question is how many roundelbucks it costs to run this site.
(08-16-2017, 05:51 AM)sundays Wrote: OVH VPS £3 a month, 2GB ram and get a fake SSL cert from cloudflare (free).

Okay, it's not fake, but it's not "real" HTTPS.

The real question is how many roundelbucks it costs to run this site.

unrelated to the thread topic, but fun fact on OVH... they're one of the biggest hosting providers in europe. they're known for having crazy cheap dedicated servers (notably through sub-brands such as soyoustart or kimsufi). the primary reason they're able to sell such cheap servers is because they currently have tons of investors pouring money into OVH. the no support, old/customized hardware, and dirt cheap electricity prices in france help - but once the investors start coming back for the money, those addicted to the dirt cheap (subsidized) hosting are gonna face a dark reality. and the level3 100% overage billing :P they're operating with close to 1bn debt/capital from investors and investor reports are showing they pay invoices late and have overdue financial statements.

tl;dr ovh is going to crash and burn in a few years, and it is going to be very, very hilarious. rip half of europe's seedboxes
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Dartz for this post:
  • sundays
>completely ignore that you can get SSD based webhosting for €5/mo that's directly connected to AMS-IX
(08-16-2017, 06:32 AM)unimproved Wrote: >completely ignore that you can get SSD based webhosting for €5/mo that's directly connected to AMS-IX

web host isn't gonna be happy when we consume half a cpu core

source: we do