Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thread Contributor: mustyoshiAnybody want to actually help me with my space game?
I'm thinking about making a private repo and letting people help write it lol

Mainly Javascript, C++, and Lua.
I'm learning C++ at uni this upcoming semester and know some Lua from the roblox days. If you want to add me to I'd be happy to help a bit but if you want someone with a bit more experience then that's fine too
remember when there was a guy named Kyle on either IN or one of IN's spinoff who was making a space game called Eon

what happened to that guy
[Image: Rxemyqh.gif]
C and Lua are what I'm most experienced with.

Are you using MuJS or V8 for Javascript?
Are you using PUC-Rio Lua or LuaJIT for Lua?
pretty sure hes using node
(01-08-2018, 07:33 PM)Maxwell_Edison Wrote: remember when there was a guy named Kyle on either IN or one of IN's spinoff who was making a space game called Eon

If you are talking about the Kyle I'm thinking of he's living in Cali and working with roblox
(01-09-2018, 05:09 AM)Nutsnbolts Wrote:
(01-08-2018, 07:33 PM)Maxwell_Edison Wrote: remember when there was a guy named Kyle on either IN or one of IN's spinoff who was making a space game called Eon

If you are talking about the Kyle I'm thinking of he's living in Cali and working with roblox

neat if it's the same person.  I just remember he disappeared one day and his space game never got made, except the like super early gameplay which I think I still have recorded on youtube somewhere
[Image: Rxemyqh.gif]
(01-09-2018, 08:49 PM)Maxwell_Edison Wrote:
(01-09-2018, 05:09 AM)Nutsnbolts Wrote:

neat if it's the same person.  I just remember he disappeared one day and his space game never got made, except the like super early gameplay which I think I still have recorded on youtube somewhere

If it's the same guy he was also the user Zuka on roblox, the famous "hacker". Hopefully that sparks some nostalgia.
Fucking Zuka. Good ol days. I remember ripping his models and removing his hidden admin commands scripts. Kyle Emmerich wasn't Zuka I don't think.

Working on this game would be a good learning experience for anybody. I'm not really sure how to divvy up work though. Plus I need to get it back to a working condition (I am rewriting the database part to be more modular).

After I get a working deployment system I will make a git repo for people to add to.

My current setup is as follows:
Database: Mongo
Backend: C++/Websockets, Lua
C++ handles the actual game engine, and I use Lua (will switch to LuaJIT) to handle ship logic (this will be intertwined with C++ calls later).
The Lua portions are basically the calculations each second (power, speed, ship operations,etc). It will expand to NPC behavior as well.
And Lua will be used as a way for players to automate their empire

Frontend: A single page with 80kb of javascript running a hacked together canvas map using PixiJS.

The universe will be procedurally generated as players venture farther out from the initial systems. I want to place pockets of AI empires for the players to interact with, probably to be written in Lua.

As for making money off it, either donations, or charging for a premium amount of automated script cycles? Like if you wanted to automate more than 5 ships or something you gotta pay. Idk,I want to write it as efficiently as possible to keep costs to a minimum.
i will help u with graphics
why not mysql (just curious)

also I'll help with writing the C++ network code and making a lua scripting engine so other people who don't know c++ can work on scripts. i know quite a lot about mmo networking and servers
(01-14-2018, 06:26 PM)sundays Wrote: why not mysql (just curious)

also I'll help with writing the C++ network code and making a lua scripting engine so other people who don't know c++ can work on scripts. i know quite a lot about mmo networking and servers

I was originally using MySQL, but at my job we use Mongo, and I'm honestly not sure what the schema is gonna look like yet, so Mongo gives me that flexibility. The database is really only a storage thing, the entire game should be in memory if it's made right.

Yes, it certainly needs a rewrite of the networking and front end code.
Yes, you should only be writing/reading to the db at server startup, shutdown and periodically saving players.

you should make a discord channel or whatever you use for us all to talk in about this game
(Yesterday, 09:30 AM)sundays Wrote: Yes, you should only be writing/reading to the db at server startup, shutdown and periodically saving players.

you should make a discord channel or whatever you use for us all to talk in about this game

Time for YoshiBB to make a come back